Washington D.C.

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Woah, what is this?! I went somewhere and am actually blogging about it while it's still fresh? (I'm so bad usually HAHA.)

So I got back from Washington DC last night! I was there on a business trip—my most intensive one thus far. In 6 days, I worked 68 hours..... For full context, I was there as part of the video crew and the editor for a big science fair for middle schoolers. Thousands of applicants were narrowed down to the 30 (brilliant, young af) finalists who were brought to DC for a week-long program/competition during which they got to show off their projects, go on tours of a university and museums, do team challenges, and bond. Meanwhile, judges follow them around the whole time, and at the end of the week, they had an awards ceremony/gala (some of these middle schoolers got like $20K...) and showed the highlights video we made that summed up their week!

So my task was to collect footage everyday and craft a story out of their interviews and put nice shots over them. The video even included shots from the DAY it was shown at the gala... It was insane. Unfortunately, the only window that the crew had for conducting most of the interviews with the kids was Monday 4 - 5:30 PM.......... And the full video was due at 9 AM on Tuesday, then after whatever changes, the final version was due at 4 PM and shown at 8 PM. o<-< ......... CRAY CRAY.

So on Monday, I worked from noon til 6 PM, took a 45 minute break, then worked nonstop all through the night until 9 AM.... Slept for an hour and a half. Got client feedback and headed back to work until 4 PM. Then we headed to the gala..... and still had to work because our cameraman had to capture the winners' moments, and then we had to set up an interview area, shoot interviews with a bunch of people (I operated audio and helped with lights), and clean up until 9:30 PM. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO BASICALLY I WORKED FOR A LOOOONG LONG ASS TIME and that night, I slept like a cadaver.

I barely got to see DC, but I liked it!
Also, I have a lot of feelings and tbh it's all really selfish thoughts, but I couldn't help but feel sad about certain things.

OKAY BUT PICTURES FIRST!

The Capitol at late sunrise!!! Actually, this was the only thing I got to see in DC other than the few streets around our hotel. It was the first day of the program and I didn't have much footage to work with yet, so... I asked if I could tag along for the morning 8D Very glad I did! Even if it meant waking up at 6 AM and still having to edit at night.

After the Capitol was the kids' public project showcase! THEY WERE PLAYING A VIDEO I EDITED AT THE ENTRANCE!!!! I was excited about that HAHA. (It was from the international version of this competition from earlier this year that I edited but didn't attend. Two of the kids from this trip will be going to the international one next year.)

Since I was around, I helped as the boom operator for the interviews that day! My arms were not ready.

And this is how I spent Halloween night.

What I wore to the gala/awards ceremony on Tuesday night, on 1.5 hours of sleep!

The auditorium!

And this is a short preview of the video ^___^
We got quite a bit of applause, so I'm very proud!!!

But still... part of me can't help but be selfish and feel a little disappointed that those kids will never know or appreciate what I felt about or did for them? While watching their interviews and hours of footage, I felt like I was vicariously experiencing the kids' friendships and fun. I wasn't part of their growing beautiful bonds, but I felt like I got to see and hear so much and could understand so much about them, that I felt a one-sided connection to them.

Honestly, even before all of this, before meeting any of them, I had quite a lot of feelings already LOL. I've edited a few videos for science fairs like this, but this is my first time actually being there with them. And those videos always make me want to cry LOL! I'm just so so happy for these kids.... They worked tirelessly hard on their science projects and they're geniuses and they deserve recognition and they deserve to be happy!!! I'm so delighted that they made it to the finals because these kinds of programs do so much for them. They teach them so much and give them so many experiences that they never could have imagined. The kids always say that they learned to work as a team, and how they finally were able to meet kids that were just like them and they became friends easily, and how they're probably going to be friends and colleagues for the rest of their lives. SO MANY FEELINGS!!!!!!! During orientation, I was choking up half the time because the organizers would talk about how this would be an unforgettable experience for them, and the kids didn't know what was coming ahead BUT I ALREADY KNEW THAT IT WOULD BE.... I KNEW WE WOULD GET TO WATCH THEM GROW A LOT AS PEOPLE and what comfort and joy they would find in each other.

It's a beautiful thing and I'm extremely privileged to be tasked with the job of helping them preserve the memories of what could possibly be one of the best and most influential times of their lives. I'm glad that I have the job of listening to their thoughts and crafting the story of them and really trying to show their best moments, their best sides. I wanted this video to make them happy and also grateful to have each other. I wanted it to make them laugh, I wanted them to tear up, I wanted it to make them want to embrace each other and always remember what they experienced this very amazing week. I wanted everyone watching the video to understand just how bright and awesome and special these kids were, and I wanted it to inspire other kids to aspire for similar things and know that they will be recognized if they do. On that last night, I probably could have slept more than 1.5 hours but I took the time to tally up exactly how many times each kid appeared in the video and made sure that they all had enough screentime. It took hours to rearrange the interviews to make sure everyone said something while retaining a cohesive, meaningful story—and it wasn't even required; I just wanted to do it for them.

The bottom line is that I ended up really caring about these kids and feeling a strong connection to them... but they'll never know. I'm glad that I tagged along and helped out on that first day, because other than that, I didn't get to spend any time with them. Maybe they noticed me around as the girl that held the boom pole, but then I disappeared for days—and they have no idea that I was the editor for the video and that I had seen all of their interviews and footage. I felt like I knew them and that they were my friends; but when I saw them in person, they had no idea who I was or how much I want them to be happy.

I was looking forward to the awards ceremony because I could see them again and have an excuse to talk to them LOL. I tried to congratulate the winners and tell them like, "Yeahh you did it! I'm happy for you!" and stuff..... It was......................... painfully awkward.
They obviously didn't know how to respond to me because they weren't familiar with me at all. Of course with everyone else, they were much warmer and more natural, and I could only watch. It was awkward and a little heartbreaking.

I feel like a ghost. None of them will remember me.

What I should be saying is, "I'm glad to have been able to do something that might help these kids and make them happy, and I don't need credit or appreciation or friendships," but ....sometimes I have too many feelings and care too much. But in any case, I wish only the best things for them because they deserve it. ^^ I hope they continue pursuing their passions and that I'll see them at future competitions.

2 comments:

  1. I should share notes on how to travel for work and fit in day- or half-day trips. On my last trip to Switzerland, I took a train to France for half a day.

    It's also really great to see someone write so passionately about what they do for their job! o/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw how fun! Unfortunately I really did have a lot of work and crappy time constraints so even leaving my room to get food sometimes wasn't an option...

      And thank you! I think you helped me realize a bit that I'm lucky I can be passionate about what I do for my job...

      Delete

Copyright © 2010 la la la la~ Ebah's world ♥ | Free Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Layout by Atomic Website Templates