Lovelyz - Destiny (A New Trilogy)

Sunday, April 24, 2016

YESSSSS my princesses Lovelyz have made their comeback!! This gross fangirl is very happy with it *u* They've grown so much since Candy Jelly Love but I love that they still have a distinct sound. It's rich, intricate, soothing, a bit retro, melodic, feminine, and innocent/cute without being obnoxious. And what really makes their music unique is that there's always some melancholic undertone or twist that adds depth behind the seemingly sweet songs. Not to mention digipedi who's been behind all of their MVs expertly reflects all of this in their visuals for an amazing Lovelyz brand of aesthetic.

But this time with Destiny (My Earth) they've really embraced melancholic—and it's pretty reminiscent of their "big brother group" Infinite's sound but more of a feminine take of it. And that's awesome aaaaa

Also loving the extended metaphor ;u; The lyrics are basically: Why do you circle around her (the sun) when I revolve around you like the moon? You're my earth and the gravity that pulls me. I wish I could stand between you and her, and give you a ring of light. (INSERT GRAPHICS OF SOLAR ECLIPSE)


01. Moonrise - 00:00
02. Destiny (My Earth) - 00:41
03. Splash - 04:15
04. Bookmark - 07:46
05. 1cm - 11:18
06. Take Care of My Heart - 15:01
07. Doll - 18:57

I haven't yet listened to the rest of the album (A New Trilogy) enough to really know it, but I like it so far! Some parts feel bland but I'll see how my feelings change when lyric translations are out.
Some fans have said that there's kind of a Clamp vibe? Lovelyz' sound has always leaned more J-pop than K-pop, but AS THE HUGE CLAMP FAN I AM, this delights the fuck out of me!!! I think I do hear it at times!

For me, the album standouts include Bookmark (07:46) for those who like sentimental ballads and drama OSTs, and Babysoul does a soft rap in it! It's like the second coming of Circle, which is a great song ^^ and coincidentally has a lot of meaning overlaps with Destiny.

1cm (11:18) isn't one of my favorites so far but I like the quirky retro video game-sounding synths. Kind of like the Ah-Choo intro. And this one kind of makes me think of Cardcaptor Sakura by Clamp which is a win to me..!

Take Care of My Heart (15:01) is growing on me a lot. The verses are undeniably Lovelyz style, and then the chorus is catchy and uplifting!

AND WE CAN'T NOT TALK ABOUT Doll (18:57)—the song behind Lovelyz' ethereal, film aesthetic, somewhat eerie Prologue Film with lyrics like "I can't fall sleep yet you dream peacefully without me. I'm your doll in the corner of the room, quietly waiting for you." But I feel like without the mysterious-looking video, the eerie effect has mostly dissipated and now it just feels like a heartbroken fairytale lullaby song, and FUCK YEAH I HELLA DIG THAT. It sounds so soothing!

Hmmmm I don't think I'm going to try to cover any of these songs like I did with For You unfortunately ahah. No time to work on a solo, and none of them are screaming at me to sing them. xD But I will enjoy listening~ Can't wait for the second and third legs of Lovelyz' new trilogy. ^^

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2010 la la la la~ Ebah's world ♥ | Free Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Layout by Atomic Website Templates