2018 New Year's Resolutions Review

Monday, December 31, 2018

2018 was a frighteningly shitty year for the world at large, ugh. Nothing directly affected me personally, but it definitely had the effect of heightening my anxiety and making me constantly feel unsafe and paranoid about what bad things could happen. :c Sincerely I hope that it will only be uphill from here. It will be, right??!

It's hard to sum up what 2018 was for me personally—but I think if I were to rate each day numerically, the average would be higher than other years of my young adult life. ;u; I didn't hit any serious low points, but there were plenty of medium-low days that I wish didn't happen. My high days were the best in many years! <3 And that's a wonderful accomplishment!

I really do feel like I've made strides with my mental health and taking care of myself. There's lots to be proud of! On the downside, I also struggled with some insecurities and anxiety that I didn't expect to and I'm working on that.

It was a very eventful year!! I went to Japan and Korea for the first time and made incredible memories. :> My lung collapsed which caused me to be hospitalized for 8 days and have my first major surgery. Friends and I made Youtaite React a real thing and already put out 5 episodes! Anime Expo and KCON were both really fun—and many great memories were made in general.


I think I did pretty well on a good amount of my 100 resolutions for 2018!
Ones in blue I'm especially proud of~

  1. Be happy :)
    This year had a lot of ups and downs in my mental health, but it included some of the happiest and healthiest that I've had in many years!!! Definitely lots of times this year I was able to confidently say that I was happy! ❤️

  2. Keep doing your best at everything!
    I GANBA-RUBIED

  3. Continue to make strides in your career.
    YA GIRL GOT A RAISE THIS YEAR that puts her at DOUBLE what she earned when she started this job in 2015 ToT!!!

  4. Smile and laugh as often as you have the energy to!
    I think I succeeded and failed accordingly with my ups and downs haha.

  5. Blog more frequently when you have time, but don't feel guilty when you can't or when writing something "unimportant."
    I blogged more than last year! 

  6. This is a new one: try to be aware of my facial muscles and how I'm always subconsciously frowning and furrowing my brows. Relax your face!
    I def did better at taking note of this at times when I wasn't focused on stuff, but I'm still not nearly as aware and relaxed as I should be.

  7. Good posture!
    Keeping good posture is impossible when you're recovering from a lung surgery unfortunately LOL

  8. Try to be aware about keeping my shoulders low and leaning backwards.. No more tense shoulders plsss
    Trying to!! Sometimes!!! When I remember!

  9. A STRESS-FREE YEAR, PLEASE THANK YOU
    I was not as stressed as the past few years! :>

  10. Oh my god if you're going to do a CB again don't kill yourself over it oh my god
    Oh yeah huh I didn't do a CB this year HAHAHA

  11. I really hope there will be no more regrets of, "I wish I had said no."
    Hmmm I can't really think of anything that I majorly regret!

  12. L-let's try being Evarella who at least starts getting ready for bed at midnight. I swear I'll finally make it a habit to sleep earlier.
    2017 EVA WILL BE SO HAPPY TO KNOW that I really did make it a habit to sleep before 1 AM!

  13. I'm determined this year to wake up earlier ;^;)9
    I don't know if my body knows that that's physically possible

  14. Let's start getting to things on time.
    Yes.. let's...in 2019..!

  15. No more rubbing or scratching your eyes.
    nervous laughter

  16. Even on bad skin days, don't be insecure. No more hiding your face from people.
    Idk that I particularly improved at this one, but my skin was generally kind of better this year?

  17. Be more thankful everyday!
    I'm not sure I did very well on this one ;o;

  18. Don't be so burdened by self-perceived "failure." Stop shitting on yourself and let it go. :c
    I can't remember how my productivity guilt and self-perceived "failure" compared to last year, but at times I was definitely stressing myself out more than needed ><

  19. Catch yourself when you're being pessimistic and try to turn things around.
    !!! I did well on this a couple times!! This will be a big goal for me in 2019!

  20. Let's be bright and a nice person to be around~
    I think I was a brighter person than ever this year ^^

  21. Continue the pursuit of my philosophy that if you have something nice to say about someone, you should tell them ;v;
    HEY YOU. YOU'RE DOING AWESOME

  22. Now that you are done with student loans, give more money to charity and those in need!
    👍

  23. I'm not a big gift giver, but I should try to give more gifts when I see things that remind me of people.
    Q__Q I did give some gifts (Japan and Korea especially were great for gift shopping!) but after paying for my lung surgery and hospital bills, I basically called off Christmas l-lol....

  24. Always indulge in foods that make me happy!
    Omg I have been eating SOOOO much ice cream lately HAHAHA <3

  25. Eat at least one fruit everyday.
    I really made a conscious effort to keep at this for most of this year! Until my acid reflux got pretty bad and I learned that apples are acidic...

  26. No matter how tired you are, wash your face and do your skin routine every night without fail.
    Without fail!

  27. Start wearing sunscreen more often! (Until eventually it's an everyday habit.) Even on days when I'm just going to work.
    Okay tbh I did terrible at this one

  28. Keep working at and improve at videography.
    I used my DSLR a lot this year! But I can't think of any good examples of improvement..

  29. Shoot at least one new music video for youtube :>
    rip sorry I did post a vlog I really like tho!

  30. Let's upload at least.. one solo this year?
    RIP SORRY....I really really wanted to do this but things never worked out for it and then I put it on hold for my lung to recover but it's the first thing I want to complete in January!

  31. Keep Gemini active!
    We are alive! Things are coming!

  32. Improve my mixing skills. Let's mix something regret-free.
    I guess the only thing I mixed that came out this year was I Wish! I definitely poured a lot into it and have reasons to be proud of it, but I still find it kind of unsatisfactory..

  33. I think I honestly need to re-work my entire mastering process. I need to figure something better out. @___@
    I still have lots to learn!

  34. Hang out with frands! If nothing's happening, initiate stuff~
    I did spend a pretty good amount of time with friends!

  35. Go out of my way more often instead of being lazy.
    Something to still work on. But lately I've gone out of my way slightly just to get ice cream HAHA.

  36. But also reserve lots of time for relaxing and watching shows.Huh I went through phases of being too busy, then keeping a good balance of free time, and then.......for the first time I hit kind of an ... empty lull where I no longer had enough things to watch that I was interested in? And that was kind of sad.

  37. Keep up with k-pop.
    Sometimes I have to catch up on a couple weeks at a time, but I'm pretty caught up!

  38. I may be going to Korea for the first time in April! I should try to /properly learn/ Korean grammar haha.
    Oh my god no it was too hard LOL

  39. Try to speak as much Korean as I can with my Korean friend!
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

  40. Make April's Japan trip the time of my life ;D Just be carefree and enjoy everything as it comes.
    The Japan & Korea trip was sooooo fun!!!!! Some of my favorite memories of my life ❤️

  41. Improve my Japanese pronunciation.
    I don't know?? Maybe a little??

  42. Actually FINISH at least 2 anime series...
    OMG I STARTED WATCHING ANIME REGULARLY AGAIN THIS YEAR IT'S CRAZY. I WATCHED SO MUCH ANIME LOL. Currently I've been regularly watching Zombieland Saga, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai, and Bloom Into You!

  43. Would be great if I kept up at practicing dance as exercise ;v;
    !!!!!!!! 2017 EVA SHOULD BE PROUD!!!!!!! I started going to dance CLASSES for the first time in January and kept on dancing all year until my lung incident! I even made a bunch of new friends through k-pop dance T_____T!! We danced together weekly outside of classes!

  44. Eventually I'd like if doing one ab exercise video per day were routine!
    I don't think...I did this at all...

  45. Start up lake walks with friends again.
    One day...!!!

  46. Keep working on being not addicted to your smartphone. Keep up the goals I have already and make more goals along the way.
    Need to work on this!

  47. I'm not sure about this one, but I would love if I could try writing again.
    It's a start that I blogged more..!

  48. This year let's read at least one book...
    I started "Of Fire and Stars" but didn't finish it...

  49. Be less afraid/embarrassed in public.
    I'm definitely much better about this! But I think I've learned that I'm much better at being in front of strangers but still can't handle doing things in front of people I know... >_>

  50. Can this year finally be the year we revive some dead singing collabs..?
    oof

  51. Practice and improve a lot at After Effects! (for future me's reference, my current ability is my I Wish animation + my part in Innocent Haven...)
    I don't know that I really improved much... I did kinda learn some plugins!

  52. Speak up more, with less hesitation, without getting so flustered.
    Ahh an anecdote!! My boss pointed this out during my annual review. ^^ We shot a commercial in which Santa Claus carries a bag, speaks to the camera, then grabs a candy cane out of the bag to give to someone. This boss was the director and I was doing audio. We were already a few takes in, and I spoke up about how the rustling from the bag was getting into the audio and suggested that we fill the bag with something else and left only 1 candy cane in it. My boss said she was proud of me because even though it stopped the whole shoot, I was vocal about this issue and it made the quality of the end product much better. ^___^ I still get flustered though.

  53. Speak out loud more in general.
    This fluctuated...

  54. ALWAYS keep your face moisturized even if you're busy or lazy.
    I did better at this!

  55. Floss more often!!
    This too!

  56. I'd like to be more open about my dumb sense of humor. ^^
    I think I was!! Still long ways to go though.

  57. I am going to take lactaid on every occasion of dairy.....
    ??????? I can't believe I ever...didn't do this??? LOL Dang 2017 me, you really paved the way for 2018 me to ALWAYS have lactaid on me and constantly enjoyed ice cream!

  58. Learn to cook at least two kinds of soup!
    ........................................

  59. Cook in general.
    ...............Alright 2019 Eva.

  60. Have already started, but I want to follow through with finally revamping my wardrobe with a more polished and chic style!
    Did I even??? Idk about revamping but I do like the clothes that I bought in Korea and Japan!

  61. If you do decide to make a new cosplay, please....make this decision with plenty of time before AX lol.
    Didn't do a new cos for 2018 AX but I have plans for 2019 AX!

  62. Let's make this a fun and safe Anime Expo!
    It was fun and safe! We were not fire hazards!

  63. Continually practice singing and belting ;v;
    Yee!

  64. I would love to be proficient enough in harmonies where I don't have to rely on others anymore.
    Mm hasn't quite happened yet.

  65. Will I finally be able to sing at karaoke?
    It's still hard for me to sing if there's a lot of people around, but I've improved a lot at singing with smaller groups ;o;)9

  66. Improve at rapping.
    Think I'm around the same level as last year?

  67. Remember that you are precious. (Kino says so)
    Kyaa //// I'll try to

  68. Make wearing chokers a regular thing! :D
    It was a very choker-y year! I got some really pretty ones in Japan *A*

  69. Try to keep the humidifier going everyday. No more being too lazy to refill it pls
    uuuuuu i tried in the first half of the year but i'm so lazy

  70. I think I have a habit of having a "told you so" attitude, which I should try to be aware of and change.... I hope not to accidentally be demeaning to anybody.
    I really hope I wasn't guilty of this! But I did consciously try to do better about unintentionally making people feel bad..

  71. Duet with Fome.....
    uhuu

  72. Speak in mostly Cantonese with my parents.
    LOL I improved at Cantonese because I talked to my parents a lot while I was hospitalized.

  73. Be more accepting of people I have a grudge against.
    OMG THIS HAS MADE MY LIFE SO MUCH BETTER. I've let go of a lot and have been much more at ease.

  74. I'm going to shower this year more than ever before.
    The irony of this is that I was hospitalized and literally unable to shower for a few weeks lmao.

  75. Do a sheet mask at least once a week!
    ..2019..!

  76. Of course be responsible, but I don't want to any longer be consumed by guilt for not doing things I was planning on doing, even if it's something that doesn't affect anyone else. ;A;
    T__________T I did go through periods of stress and immense guilt but at least I came out of them and was able to let go of some things..! I'll do my best to not fall back into this hole.

  77. This won't happen quickly, but make steps towards being able to motivate yourself.
    Hmm I did struggle with this in many ways. But on the productivity side, I didn't have any issues motivating myself to get things done even without deadlines ;u;

  78. Become comfortable with running live sound for band performances!
    Don't know that I'm "comfortable" but I'm more experienced than before!

  79. Watch a lot of movies in theatres.
    I feel like I've watched a lot! Just recently saw Ralph Breaks the Internet (twice!) and Aquaman.

  80. Be more open about the fact that I sing..
    I started singing in front of my kpop dance friends not long after knowing them! We even went to karaoke and I sang a lot ;A; loudly and with confidence! I even rapped!!!!!

  81. Maybe this year I'll try to upgrade my k-pop shrine with some shelving?
    Oof I'm definitely doing this as soon as I'm recovered.

  82. Learn to use more mixing plugins.
    I may have added like.........one plugin to my regular repertoire LOL.

  83. Become comfortable with making phone calls.
    !!!!!!! This one is huge!! I basically had a meltdown because of all the shit I had to deal with regarding hospital bills and insurance, AND THEN I WIPED OFF MY SNOT AND SAID. FUCK IT. I'M GONNA MAKE THESE PHONE CALLS AND RUN ALL THESE ERRANDS. AND I DID IT. And now I can make phone calls!!! I book all my own appointments!! I cleared up everything by myself! I pick up the phone from unknown numbers!!

  84. Do things without being afraid of people watching.
    Good Anecdote: I almost didn't attend my first k-pop dance class in January bc I was terrified of dancing around other people. I stuck to it and became less nervous, became more confident, and improved a lot! I danced regularly and even uploaded a dance cover!!!
    Bad Anecdote: A couple weeks ago I tried to go on camera to film Youtaite React but with a bunch of my friends watching, I choked up and couldn't go on ;; The stage fright is still there.

  85. Become better at networking...
    I think I became worse! 8D

  86. Be more patient.
    Yes and no?

  87. Do impulsive things!!
    I DID SOMETIMES!!!

  88. Try foods that I previously declared I disliked.
    I'm pretty sure I did at least try!

  89. I wonder if I can eliminate my acid reflux this year?
    It.......got kind of out of hand......... but then in the past few weeks it's actually been not bad?

  90. Use the watercolor pencils Mimi gave me!
    T__T I barely did anything arts/crafts this year...

  91. Do more art/crafts things again.
    ...Oof, see #90...

  92. Indulge in making slime.....
    My slimes dried up and I never bought or made new ones loool rip

  93. Stay confident!
    In some ways I think I did get more confident, but in other ways I was more insecure than before ;A;

  94. Be fearless.
    I was pretty fearless when I was in the hospital ♥

  95. Become more proactive!
    I think I was!

  96. Embrace change.
    Does it count that I attempted front bangs this year?? 

  97. Be selfish and don't take so much burden upon yourself.
    Tbh... I burned out...

  98. Always remember to love yourself ♥
    I wanna say I did for about 90% of the year :'D

  99. Keep supporting your k-pop faves!! I adopted a lot of new sons in 2017 so currently I'm stanning Lovelyz, NCT, Pentagon, Wanna One, and The Boyz. And I'm really into The Unit (currently airing) so who knows what that'll become. TELL ME WHO YOU'RE STANNING NOW. DO YOU HAVE CHILD SUPPORT YET
    LMAOOO I am still a big fan of Lovelyz, NCT, and Pentagon! I do still like The Boyz and Wanna One mostly. Produce48 happened this year and IZ*ONE is now one of my favorite groups!! I plan to support them a lot until they disband in 2.5 years!

  100. I'm not sure I'll ever grow out of this #100: WORLD DOMINATION.
    WHY DO I DO THIS

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Evarella! It's impressive to see the before and after of your resolutions list. I'm glad there are so many in blue! Here's to a bigger and better 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year!!! Omg that you've started calling me Evarella LOOOL
      I love that you actually read this—thank you <3
      Hope your 2019 is also bigger, better, STRONGER, FASTER..!

      Delete

Copyright © 2010 la la la la~ Ebah's world ♥ | Free Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Layout by Atomic Website Templates