directional failure

Sunday, November 10, 2019



Something that has been majorly stressing me out is this incredible opportunity and privilege that my workplace has given me: to direct a music video. I've never really directed anything other than a fairly simple "short film" for a class back in college, but my bosses want me to give this a try (because I'm an editor which might make me a good director?? we shall see lolol) and to stretch me out of my comfort zone. Yup I'm uncomfortable. And learning a lot! Every aspect of this role is terrifying! /o/ I feel a lot of responsibility and.......since I've never worked on a real MV before and it is not something my company typically does, I don't know what I'm doing at all... In fact, I don't even know what it is that I don't know. I'm just guessing and making things up and I constantly feel like I'm not doing things well enough. I don't know. I can't tell because I don't know what a good MV director is supposed to be like.. 😔 (Also the reason they're willing to put such a clueless person on the job is because it's not a client project therefore supposed to be less pressure but I still feel a lot, yay.)

I want to bring back something that I wrote about before: how my college professor told us, "You are not your art. If your art fails, that doesn't mean you are a failure." It is absolutely a major problem that I can't grasp this. ;;;; I invite so much worry and hurt just because I take everything personally and invest too much of myself into things and I perceive so many things to be personal failures. Really I need to grow tougher skin and learn that separation and distance, especially if I want to be a professional and I shouldn't allow anyone's disagreement the power to discourage my confidence..

So now I'm really struggling with how to be a director. Because the director is the person who is able to lead everyone by explaining the vision of the project. The creative concepting is ultimately up to me to put together after consulting with everyone.... And I think that a director does the best at their job when they truly believe in the vision, when they themselves have a clear mental image of what to aim for and they have an infectious passion to them that influences the rest of the crew. I think that those kinds of creative ideas that you genuinely believe in are personal—and they should reflect a bit of the creator's personality, have a little piece of the creator's heart embedded in it.

So how do I be a good director that truly believes in and can elaborately explain and guide people towards a vision...... when I'm also frightened that people are going to dislike or reject my ideas? I need to be close with the material—and yet distant enough that I should be professional and objective and cool about if others disagree with me. Because of course this MV isn't just about me. I just worry a lot. I wish I weren't constantly worrying so much. :c

4 comments:

  1. Firstly, thank you for your kind words on the last post. I'm always humbled when people think I'm cool, hahahhaha ^^

    One of the most poignant lessons I ever learned comes from this video: https://youtu.be/G4eNDPImQmw. If you have time, I highly recommend it for its message. I've learned that in a world where the results have all the glory, the process is where I find my confidence and growth, and the process usually requires some form of vulnerability. For you, it's stepping into a new position and trying something you've never done before. It's okay! I know there are many film directors who change lanes and thought processes during shoots all the time, and there's actually a need for actors who can improv and deliver at the snap of their fingers.

    I think your professor delivered powerful words and they apply to all situations: for me, getting a rejection letter from a company is the same as not getting a role after an audition. Good luck with the new challenge, Eva! Failure is just a stepping stone to growth, but even then, just taking the time to improve your craft and learn new things is time worth spending. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh I'm glad that you saw my reply to you on the last post!! I can never tell if people see my replies or not LOL. God you're so good at expressing yourself. Thank you for the encouragement and for linking me this Constance Wu video I love her!!! I'll def watch this sometime and let you know what I think. ^^

      Delete
  2. Definitely relatable to be worried about getting ideas rejected. Though based on your works you've shared here, you definitely have a style and vision that people love! It can be hard to balance confidence in your skill/experience against uncertainty in a new position. There's something to be said about others having that faith in you though. Even if you aren't sure about yourself, your bosses are confident in you; otherwise, they wouldn't have trusted you with it. Whenever I think of it that way, it makes me just trust their judgment that I'm the right one for the job. Like now I gotta get it done for them instead of for me. Not sure that makes sense, but it did when I started typing.

    You're totally gonna crush it though. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uuuugh thank you ;; I'm not entirely sure what style or vision I've shown that people love but I'm glad that you see something, anything! Yeah, they definitely have faith in me and it's a little terrifying to think that I might disappoint especially when it's such a generous opportunity... Your comment totally made sense. ♥ Thanks for taking the time to be so supportive ;^; Doing my best!! I just led a phone meeting for the first time and did alright despite how nervous I was aaa!!!

      Delete

Copyright © 2010 la la la la~ Ebah's world ♥ | Free Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Layout by Atomic Website Templates