Korean Drama Talk Time Pt. 2

Saturday, August 27, 2016

In a not-really-continuation of part 1, here are my comments and recommendations about dramas that have caught my attention since last year. :> It's not very current as I've been too busy to diligently keep up in the past few months, but I'm hoping to gain drama-watching (or reading) momentum again soon!

Somebody please talk to me about Korean dramas. ;A;

(I watch on Dramafever and Viki, and read recaps on Dramabeans~)
* means it's a standout imo

  • Reply 1988 *

    • Comment: So so so so so good!!! Each episode is long, but this piece of thoughtful, well-written, fun, heartwarming, deliciously nostalgic treasure is worth your time, I promise! It's about 5 families who live on the same street in 1988, and as you grow up with them, you can't help but care about all of their wellbeings and relationships—whether it's the core friend group of the kids who are figuring out life and love, or the friend group of the parents who are also still figuring out life and love.
    • Progress: I pretty much always watched each episode as soon as it came out LMAO Sometimes even snuck peaks on recaps before subs came out..
    • Recommendation: Yess, recommended so much! If you love friends or love families, you'll probably love this?! (do it.) I would suggest reading Dramabeans' recap either after or during the episode so that you don't miss the references and to have more cultural context. :>

  • Cheer Up (aka Sassy Go Go) *

    • Comment: A high school's ragtag dance team has to work with the academic elite to form a cheerleading club. It sounds dumb. It is dumb. I FUCKING LOVED IT. I have so much endearment for the entire cast ㅠㅠ! Eunji from Apink is always such a joy to behold in any form!! Main man (boy) Lee Wongeun was out to kill us all with his A+ smile and surprisingly charismatic charm, jfc. Chae Soobin played an annoyingly written character with sympathetic complexity and I can't help but love her! N from Vixx was a cute puppy. And Jisoo is the perfect angsty puppy boy—I hope he becomes a huge star because he's such young acting potential~
    • Progress: This drama was crack for me from beginning to end. I watched each episode the day subs came out, during my lunch break.
    • Recommendation: If you can put aside the ridiculousness and frustrating conflicts, this is really cute and enjoyable! You know what, fuck it—I recommend this. You'll see why I was addicted.

  • Page Turner *

    • Comment: Okay you can definitely fit this one into your schedule because it's only 3 episodes~ It stars my favorite actress and girlcrush, talented former-child-now-teen actress Kim Sohyun as a genius piano player who loses her eyesight. Meanwhile perfect angsty puppy boy Jisoo will win your heart with his adorable airheadedness, gungho optimism, and broken dreams.
    • Progress: Finished~
    • Recommendation: Yes, what a great short touching youth drama! The ending may or may not be for you. (If you don't like it, I recommend reading dramabeans' girlfriday's take on why she liked it ^^)

  • Splish Splash Love

    • Comment: Another short at 2 episodes! And another one I loved to bits. Kim Seulgi (she's so great) is a high schooler who's horrible at math and is taken back in time to the ancient Joseon era, where she's mistaken as a genius [male] eunich to the young king played by Yoon Doojoon from BEAST. I...honestly had a hard time buying into the romance despite the protagonists' comfortable chemistry, but it's overall very cute and sweet ;;; My hearrtttt
    • Progress: Done!!
    • Recommendation: Short and sweet, so watch it! But don't expect logical things to be logical.

  • Uncontrollably Fond (aka Lightly, Ardently)

    • Comment: The only currently airing drama that I'm watching! (Edit: It finished airing.) The first few episodes had me HELLA HOOKED. It was the first in a long time that I felt like, "Damn, I have to watch the next episode. ASAP." Kim Woobin and Suzy have stepped up their game for these roles. Beware that it's a melodrama and gets darker than you expect. (Potential spoiler alert but you find out in episode 1 anyway: Kim Woobin's character is dying.)
    • Progress: I'm on episode 14 and.. I'm.. so.. frustrated.... I think I'm ready for it to be over.
    • Recommendation: I don't know anymore. I recommended it a lot at first! Then it got dumb. But it's not done airing yet so maybe it gets better? Lies down..

  • Moonlight Drawn by Clouds (aka Love in the Moonlight) *

    • Comment: Currently airing historical drama that I'm loving!! Incredibly talented teen actress Kim Yoojung was forced since young to pretend to be male, and ends up working at the royal palace as a eunuch. She becomes friends with the crown prince, played absolutely breathtakingly perfectly by the incredibly talented Park Bogum who nails every micro-expression on his pretty face. And the other legs of the love square are Jinyoung from B1A4 (LOOOVE HIM) and Chae Soobin (love her!). WHAT AN EPIC CAST. They've got the full packages of youth, talent, and sparkly prettiness. Thankfully this drama is matched with good writing so far. There are some politics, but overall very fun and light!
    • Progress: I've watched 6 episodes. So far impressive and promising.
    • Recommendation: SO FAR YESSS. Oh please don't ever let me down. But I don't think the acting could ever disappoint :D

  • Entertainer

    • Comment: Was curious since it stars Hyeri of Girl's Day and recently Reply 1988 fame. The things that sealed the deal were haughty music producer Jisung (who showed that he's talented af from playing 7 diff characters in Kill Me, Heal Me) and qt CNBlue band member Kang Minhyuk playing a band member. Music and youth healing stories usually tempt me.
    • Progress: I'm only a few episodes in because my wifi died.... I'll probably continue soon?
    • Recommendation: I can't say much yet. I like it for watching Kang Minhyuk and the ever talented Jisung so far. The story's not bad but not gripping imo.

  • Kill Me, Heal Me

    • Comment: This drama felt like forever ago but I still have to mention it. The money's all in the fact that Jisung is a crazy talented man who can convincingly play 7 different characters! And be fun! And sympathetic! He's just so good!!!!! The female protagonist is annoying. Some things are ridiculous.
    • Progress: I read a few recaps and was curious enough to watch from the beginning, although I lost traction halfway and never continued. But I'm still curious so I may finish reading recaps sometime.
    • Recommendation: So far I would recommend reading recaps because it's an interesting premise! Watching it has its pros and cons because you get ONE BOMB ASS AWESOME actor, and one actress whose character really bombed in the most annoying way so be prepared.

  • Twenty Again *

    • Comment: What a great story! A mother who became a dependent housewife since she was young goes back to university in order to smarten herself up so that her [terrible] husband won't leave her, and ends up growing so much that she leaves him! So empowering and so heartwarming gahhhh. There's adorable petty bickering relationships and dancing too.
    • Progress: I watched 2 episodes and liked it enough that I always read recaps as soon as they came out, but couldn't prioritize this show enough to watch.
    • Recommendation: I have enough faith in Choi Jiwoo and Lee Sangyoon's acting to say you should probably watch it? If not, definitely read it.

  • Cheese in the Trap

    • Comment: YOU MAKE ME SO MAD, DRAMA. I was in love with you for the first half! I recommended you so hard from the first few episodes! You gave me all the nostalgic fuwa fuwa shoujo manga feels from a k-drama for the first time AND THEN YOU WENT AND SHOT YOURSELF. OVER AND OVER. AND NEVER GOT BETTER. NOOOOOO
    • Progress: I watched the first half. Could not handle anymore. Read recaps to the end. Screamed at the end.
    • Recommendation: NOOO THE GREAT FIRST HALF ISN'T WORTH THE HEARTBREAK. SAVE YOURSELF FROM THE STUPID!!!

  • Oh My Ghostess *

    • Comment: Soooo much talentttt; I love all these actors! Eternal cutie Park Boyoung plays a timid girl...until she's possessed by an audacious, lusty ghost (Kim Seulgi) who really wants to get into haughty [actually insecure] chef Jo Jungseok's pants. And Park Boyoung perfectly pulls off acting as both personas. This drama sounds hilarious and it is hilarious. And then you're hit by the unexpected heartwarmingness....heartwrenchingness.....the complexity and some mystery.
    • Progress: I've only watched halfway but I swear I'll finish watching when I have time. ;_;
    • Recommendation: Yaaassss ok well I don't know how it ends yet but as far as I know, yaaasssss

  • Producer

    • Comment: This drama had a ton of hype last year with its "experimental format" and cast: Kim Soohyun, Gong Hyojin, Cha Taehyun, and IU.
    • Progress: I watched every episode, so obviously I was interested enough and it must have been decent....
    • Recommendation: But why do I barely remember this drama? Idk man. Pass.

  • Fool's Love (aka Hogu's Love)

    • Comment: A great story!! Don't be tricked by the promo materials—because behind the funny popular alpha gal, airheaded beta boy hijinks is a meaningful, deep, dark, potentially triggering story. I love Choi Wooshik who's freaking adorable and perfect for the titular "fool," but this drama is really about the growth of the female protagonist who's a young promising swimmer suddenly dealt the struggle of pregnancy. She's played by UEE from After School who's matured a ton as an actress—so if you only remember her as the annoying girl from You're Beautiful, definitely give her a chance now to pull your heartstrings because she will!!
    • Progress: I watched the first 2 episodes, liked it but didn't have time to keep watching. Read the rest of the series in recaps as soon as they came out, and watched a bit here and there.
    • Recommendation: It's part lightheartedly cute, and part emotionally beautiful. Loved this story. Would recommend! 

  • Marriage Contract

    • Comment: I was curious since UEE made an impressively emotional turn in Fool's Love, I like Lee Seojin, and this is a big age gap. UEE plays a young widowed mother to the most adorable little girl, and she makes a fake marriage contract with Lee Seojin when she finds out she's sick and needs a way to provide for her daughter's future. Along the way, they find the softie under Lee Seojin's grumpy exterior and become family that helps each other heal.
    • Progress: I think I read the entire thing in recaps lol... But I still felt like I was very invested in the story til the end!
    • Recommendation: If you like melo, it's probably a good watch? Not totally perfect, but a pretty good read for sure!

  • Pinocchio *

    • Comment: Great drama!!! It's from the same writer as I Hear Your Voice so this is a quality story, and I love the actors to bits. Park Shinhye and Lee Jongseok had such cute chemistry!! And it's not one of those dramas where the characters foolishly drop everything for love—their careers as aspiring reporters and how their interesting personal stories intertwine with what they're investigating are the main drive of the drama.
    • Progress: Watched it all :>
    • Recommendation: Very recommended!!! But be prepared that it may be darker than you expect. There's still cute at the end of the tunnel, I promise.

  • Heirs

    • Comment: This is one of those dramas where the characters foolishly drop everything for love.
    • Progress: Oh LOL apparently I watched 18 out of 20 episodes and then only read recaps for the last two.
    • Recommendation: Nah.. You might be motivated to watch for the hype and cast (Lee Minho, Park Shinhye, Kim Woobin, etc) but this drama disappointed me. It was not very substantial. But the people are pretty? That's it.

  • Cantabile Tomorrow (aka Naeil's Cantabile)

    • Comment: Much potential, much disappointment... Nodame Cantabile was such a respected success, and this was the best tribute you could do? I blame the writing and directing; the actors did the best that they could with the limitations. I usually love love love love love Shim Eunkyung! But I couldn't feel her character here. I like Joowon too and kinda feel bad for him. On the bright side, I got to fall in love with Park Bogum even though his character literally had no point?
    • Progress: I can't believe I watched the whole thing..
    • Recommendation: Hell no. This drama was a joke.

  • Warm and Cozy

    • Comment: I'm sad for Yoo Yeonseok and Kang Sora—they make such a great pair and deserve a better drama.
    • Progress: I watched 2 episodes, switched to recaps, and....I can't remember if I finished reading. I think I never did. And never intend to. (I did read reviews so I have a feel for the rest of it.)
    • Recommendation: No. Go find another drama that actually has a plot that goes somewhere.

  • Girl Who Sees Smells

    • Comment: I liked the cute couple in the girl who can see smells but can't remember her painful past and the detective who can't feel anything, and how they help each other recover parts of themselves that they've lost.
    • Progress: I read the whole series in recaps becaaaause I'm too much of a wuss to watch suspenseful mysteries and it sounds like there are some scary scenes ;;;
    • Recommendation: Hmmmm, I'm leaning towards yes over no. I heard good things about the acting. I'm hesitant because this story raises a lot of questions that we never got answers to, but hey, maybe if you're okay with that and interested enough in the journey and couple development? 8D

  • Healer

    • Comment: The folks at Dramabeans have amaaaaaazing things to say about this drama and how it handles its action and romance, how it's a great story.
    • Progress: But it ain't my thang, so I dropped it after 3 episodes.
    • Recommendation: Look it up, and if it sounds remotely interesting to you, I'm certain it'll be worth a shot. People whose opinions I trust loooooved it.

  • Mirror of the Witch

    • Comment: Despite the questionable age gap, this caught my eye from the talented leads, teen actress Kim Saeron and Yoon Siyoon whom I loved in everything I've seen him in. It's like a historical version of Rapunzel, featuring a lot of dark magic, shamans, and blood.
    • Progress: I tried watching a bit and it scared me so I switched to recaps 8D;; I haven't finished reading yet, but I will!
    • Recommendation: If you like historicals and you like dark magic, consider it? LOL I'm interested enough that I intend to finish reading it sometime, but imo it's not living up to its potential.

  • Moorim School

    • Comment: This felt like...they wanted to make a less cool k-drama version of Hogwarts but based on martial arts. Magic and mysteries at a school. Featuring an idol. Yeah, idk. Much hot mess potential.
    • Progress: I read recaps until Dramabeans stopped recapping it LOOOOL (a telling move)
    • Recommendation: Mrrggghasdf the premise sounds like it could be interesting and Lee Hyunwoo is a cutie and all, but no, doesn't seem worth it.

  • Oh My Venus

    • Comment: Oops, I totally forgot about this drama. It's based on some refreshing and needed themes like body image and health, so I appreciate that! I didn't entirely find the story to be very substantial and the writers weren't good at handling solutions.
    • Progress: I read recaps the whole way.
    • Recommendation: I don't know!! It sounded like it would make a fun casual watch, but I wouldn't recommend the story/writing.

  • Persevere Gu Haera

    • Comment: Lol we were promised a fun heartwarming drama about young people making music together. THIS IS SOMETHING WE NEEDED TO KNOW TO PREPARE OURSELVES FOR THE REAL MAIN CONFLICT: SOMEBODY WE COME TO LOVE DIES. AND THEN DUMB STUFF HAPPENS.
    • Progress: And since that episode, I stopped watching LOL orz...... Many months later I picked up reading recaps but I never finished.
    • Recommendation: IF YOU DON'T WANT A CHARACTER YOU LOVE TO DIE, DON'T WATCH. SOBBSSSSSSSss !! into ! the horizon!!!

  • She Was Pretty

    • Comment: A few frustrations, but I thought this was a sweet story. It's a romcom about inner beauty, with a winning friendship between the two main ladies. :>
    • Progress: I read recaps the whole way.
    • Recommendation: It's a good read!

  • Angry Mom

    • Comment: Kim Heesun embodies the fountain of youth as a badass [former gangster] mother who....pretends to be a high schooler when she discovers that her daughter (talented former-child-actress Kim Yoojung!!) is being bullied. Hm. LOL. She looks incredibly young for her age, but the guise wasn't convincing to me even if she claims to have taken a few years off from school. This drama definitely gets darker and more mysterious than you'd expect. Possible triggers?
    • Progress: I watched about half and kind of forgot to keep going. I intend to finish sometime.
    • Recommendation: If the premise interests you, check it out!

  • Who Are You: School 2015

    • Comment: GIRLCRUSH KIM SOHYUN AAAYYY! And as two different characters! She's so talented sdaflkjl
    • Progress: Watched a few episodes, then read the rest til the bitter, bitter end.
    • Recommendation: I.. SHOW, YOU DON'T MAKE SENSE. WHAT. Bye.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughtful recommendations! They really give me a good sense of what seems good to watch these days from they way you laid it all out. Also, it's just nice to hear someone else's perspective on them in general ^^

    Of the current ones I'm watching, (Moonlight Drawn by Clouds, Scarlet Heart: Ryul, and W), Moonlight stands out for me. The acting is great (crazy good child actress), plot is well paced and easy for me to digest with both humor and drama (Plus, Park Bo Gum is in it heehee xD).

    A drama I would suggest you try is Misaeng, an office drama that provides insight on the Korean work culture. Although the plot is a little drama heavy, I really liked the acting, character development and how real/personable it felt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD HI YES I'm loving Moonlight Drawn by Clouds so much!!!! I still have to watch episode 4 and then I was going to add it to this post but I heard ep 4 was good so I can't imagine that my impression will change much. xD Park Bogum and Kim Yoojung are such delights to watch asdlkfjslk they're so pretty and sooo so so unbelievably talented. That one makes me super happy and I hope it never lets me down Q^Q
      I'm also really excited to start Scarlet Heart. Totally have been anticipating that one for what feels like forever.

      And oooh, I've heard great things about Misaeng! But was scared because I heard it can also be depressing because of how realistic it feels HAHA. Really appreciate the recommendation :D I love hearing others' perspectives on dramas too ahah. I'll keep it in mind when I need something fresh to try!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2010 la la la la~ Ebah's world ♥ | Free Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Layout by Atomic Website Templates