Food for Thought: The Value of Fulfillment

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I find that a great majority of these non-ranty rambling posts took seed in my terribly unnecessary contemplation moments in my car. But I mean, what else are you supposed to do when driving? Well. Other than, y'know, watch the road, but I mean.. I swear I do that too. This conversation is what sparked today's food for thought:

[4:08:39 PM]: you seem like you're doing well this semester ^^
[4:08:45 PM]: proudddd~
[4:12:44 PM]: Meh. I dont really have anything fucking me over so i dont see why i wouldnt do well.
[4:20:36 PM]: jeez just let me praise you okay LOL
[4:21:22 PM: meh. I dont need praise for doing what i should be haha
[4:22:16 PM]: positive reinforcement's always good o^o
[4:22:32 PM]: a lot of people don't do what they're supposed to be doing

I see the logic in "I'm doing what I'm supposed to do so it's not something outstanding." I understand it. But because I understand it, I started thinking about why my philosophy seems to differ from this.

Is it praiseworthy for a person to fulfill their obligation, or to do the right thing? By the end of my drive, I concluded that yeah--I think so. Of course, this is no exception in that all theories have exceptions. Like fuck if you want me to give you a holler for successfully taking a breath.

But think about grades, which is what was being discussed in the first place. If everyone did all of their work, and if everyone understood and was able to apply all of the information that they were instructed to, theoretically EVERYONE would have A's. Unfortunately, not everyone has A's--and I'm not trying to blame those that don't or pin them as lazy bums that don't do their work; everyone has their circumstances. But the point is that we do celebrate the people who do have A's BECAUSE they achieved them. And we see people with good grades as remarkable even though they just "did what they were supposed to do." Hm... where am I even going with this LOL... I'm rambling and not making sense. I think what I'm trying to say is that if those with A's were reduced to merely average people who just did what they should have done, only super overachievers--those that innovatively go above and beyond their calling and expectation--would be worthy of any kind of positive attitude towards.

And as I mentioned, a lot of people don't do what they're supposed to do. Slacking, flaking, betraying, etc. are so common now that I think it's respectful of a person to uphold promises and obligations.

Furthermore, it's not always easy to do the right thing--even when you know it's right. (I mean this both in fulfillment and morality, but I'm just focusing on the former right now due to the context of this post.) Just because something is expected of you, and just because you have the capability to do it, doesn't mean it won't come with potential struggles or hesitation. I think it's hard to get out of bed. I think it's hard to put behind the comfort of solitude, and go back out into reality where you have to deal with things and see people and deal with people and with life and responsibilities. Sometimes when I don't have work, school, or plans, I just don't get out of bed until dinnertime--not because I'm lazy but because it's hard and I can't face reality even if I know I have to. And getting out of bed is something I have to do. A duty regarded as beyond easy, in fact; it's just an everyday occurrence anyway. And do I want to tell myself, "Good job! You did it! You got yourself out of bed!" regardless when I succeed? Hell yeah.

I worked overtime today; it's been almost excruciatingly busy because it's the end of the year's 3rd quarter. At the end of the day, my boss told me that I worked hard.
I can't really say that I was moved by those words, but rather I was deeply impacted. I think I always work hard. But the recognition for it is rare. For a short moment, I thought to myself, "I worked hard for so long just for this moment of acknowledgement!!" Upon further contemplation, I don't think that that's my intention; but still, it was really nice and surprising being praised. But IF that were my intention... taking a step back, does anyone even have any kind of obligation to say something nice if I work hard--since that's what I'm supposed to do, that's what I'm expected to do, that's what I intend to do, and that's what I'm paid to do? I WANT TO SAY NO BUT I ALSO WANT TO SAY YES. And we're right back full cycle to where we started. I have conflicting mentalities and I question them and write long-ass posts that probably don't make much sense to anyone but me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2010 la la la la~ Ebah's world ♥ | Free Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Layout by Atomic Website Templates