That Lifetime, the Internet-Dweller Exists

Monday, February 18, 2013

Yee, leggings taimu STAATO.
I love this necklace so much lksdfjlksa watch me start wearing it with every outfit
(Wow, I've been so picture-happy lately and that's not a bad thing)



I started watching the newly-premiered (as in last week) Korean melodrama That Winter, the Wind Blows.

The name of it....

HELLO THERE ONE-WAY TICKET TO CLICHÉ-VILLE.

That Winter, the Wind Blows
That Summer, the Sun Shines
That Day, the Eva Breathes

I was originally not planning to watch it because it's a melodrama and not a romantic comedy, and I'm not so fond of intense/sad/angsty things. But apparently it's really good so far, AND the second leads are Kim Bum (the casanova from Boys Over Flowers) and Jung Eunji (Reply 1997; lead vocal of A Pink)--who I both LOOOVE♥. Kim Bum's one of my favorite actors, and he's just so adorable and all-around charming. Eunji has quickly climbed her way onto my girlcrush list after Reply 1997, which is now one of my favorite dramas, so I'm interested in following her venture into acting. But Kim Bum and Eunji together might just be overload for my poor heart.


The story tells of a blind woman Oh Young (played by Song Hye Gyo) who is the heiress to a large corporation. Oh Soo (played by Jo In Sung) coincidentally has the same name as Oh Young's brother from whom she was separated by their parents' divorce. Oh Soo lives meaninglessly as a gambler, constantly getting into fights. On the search for Oh Young's brother, they come across Oh Soo--who has no choice but to assume the role of Oh Young's brother for ulterior motives. How does this new faux-sibling bond bloom into love?

First of all, I have to applaud the protagonists in their acting. ;u; Jo In Sung has so much to express, and he does it perfectly: his frightening cruelty, his mental pain, his physical pain--you feel it all. On the other hand, Song Hye Gyo's character has to express so little that she really must constrain herself. She did a great job as the stiff, genuine, but non-naive Oh Young who stares into nothingness but sees so much. (It must be difficult to act as a blind person when you actually aren't. Unfortunately, there were times when her eyes moved to look at who she was talking to, but most of the time it was avoided.) Might I also mention that the drama's posters don't accurately capture how enviably gorgeous Song Hye Gyo is?

IT'S INTERESTING because when you think of "Korean dramas," you think, Oh, they're so sad but beautiful and they make you cry, but most contemporary dramas (including the melodramas) don't fit this mold. But with That Winter, the Wind Blows, it feels like a Korean drama gone back to its traditional roots in its stereotyped form.

In only the first episode, 2 people died, one person gets stabbed, and there's crying LOL. IF THAT'S NOT THE STEREOTYPICAL KOREAN DRAMA, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS.
I hope it turns out epic and goes down in history; it has so much potential. :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2010 la la la la~ Ebah's world ♥ | Free Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Layout by Atomic Website Templates